Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
MANATEE COUNTY ROAD CLOSURES and TRAFFIC NOTICES:
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017.
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge.
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be experiencing a right turn lane expansion, starting at the end of May, as a result of sitework for the new Wawa's and WalMart Grocery. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- 51st St W will be closed starting February 8th until October for a new gravity system replacement project, from 9th Ave Dr W to 18th Ave W. Detours will be in place, and drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays.
- NOTE: The section of work currently underway has 51st St W closed from 15th Ave W to 19th Ave W. Drivers are asked if coming northbound from Cortez to please use 21st Ave W and detour to 59th or 43rd.
- Drivers coming southbound from Manatee Ave are asked to detour at 11th Ave W or 9th Ave W to get to 59th or 43rd. Please use CAUTION and obey all posted speed limits in residential areas.
- The Ft. Hamer Park Boat Ramp will be closed for the next 6 months due to new park and boat ramp improvements that are underway.
- The new 44th Ave E extension, which will be connecting to US 301 just south of 38th Ave E, is well underway and drivers should use caution when entering the work zones.
- 44th Ave E, at Team Edition will be closed for the ongoing road improvements for the new 44th Ave E Extension Project.
- Tallevast Rd from the post office west to 15th St E (Old 301) will be undergoing the addition of a new sidewalk and storm improvements starting April 15th. The road will be reduced to one lane at times with flagging operations. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
· 53rd Ave W at 65th St W will be CLOSED from June 13th until July 3rd. Please follow detour routes and use caution. Please note the County Golf Course will be accessible from 53rd Ave W at 51st St W only.
- 30th Ave W will be closed and have a detour route from 22nd St W to 24th St W, up to two weeks starting June 13th. Please use caution and obey local speed limits.
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) Sarasota/Bradenton: Construction Project: Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on southbound and northbound I-75 Tuesday, May 31 through Friday night, June 3, between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m. Single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on I-75 southbound on-ramp Tuesday, May 31 and on I-75 southbound off-ramp Wednesday, June 1 and Thursday, June 2 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street and on the I-75 southbound on-ramp Tuesday, May 31 through Friday night, June 3, between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m.
In observance of Memorial Day, the contractor will suspend construction activities Saturday, May 28 through Monday, May 30.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Foley Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, constructing the southbound bridge at I-75/University Parkway, installing/relocating lighting and signalization, driving piles for the noise wall adjacent to southbound I-75 north of Fruitville Road, and constructing MSE walls.. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Erie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from Erie/Tampa Road to Ft. Hamer Road: Maintenance contracts project: Crews are cleaning storm water pipes. Expect nighttime/overnight east and westbound lane closures from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. and daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through the end of May 2016. Use caution and expect possible delays.
US 301 from CR 675 to Moccasin Wallow Road: Construction project: Crews are widening the roadway to a four-lane divided highway; constructing sidewalk; installing highway lighting; constructing medians, and improving drainage. Crews are working Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Northbound and southbound traffic shifts are expected intermittently Tuesday through Friday in order to pave the mainline; both northbound and southbound lanes are expected to remain open at all times. MOT personnel will be present at CR 675 and Moccasin Wallow Rd as needed to minimize delays. Slight traffic shifts may also be in place adjacent to the work at all other times. Expected completion is fall 2016.
US 301 at Haben Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are making median modifications, resurfacing the roadway and installing new traffic signals. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. Expected completion is fall 2016. AJAX Paving is the contractor.
Business US 41 at the Green Bridge and along Riverside Drive: Construction project: Crews are constructing a shared use path and sidewalk; improving drainage; installing new decorative lighting; paving the parking lot and constructing new parking spaces with architectural pavers; installing new signing and pavement markings, and installing landscaping with a new irrigation system. Motorists should expect periodic daytime single-lane closures along Riverside Drive. There will be no Lane closures at signalized intersections between 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Estimated completion is fall 2016. The contractor is Douglas N. Higgins, Inc.
US 41 from I-275 to the Hillsborough County Line and at Piney Point Road and Dock Street (Port Manatee): Construction project: Crews are reconstructing portions of the roadway with concrete; removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing a new traffic signal at the I-275 westbound off-ramp to US 41; improving drainage; constructing sidewalks; installing guardrail, highway lighting and landscaping, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Crews are working on concrete pavement installation, friction course placement and signalization. Construction activities are going on both during the day and at night. Motorists should use caution while travelling through construction zones and be mindful that the speed limit is now 50 MPH. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m. Estimated completion is late 2016. The contractor is Pepper Contracting Services, Inc.
US 41 from 63rd Avenue West to 53rd Avenue West: Construction project: Crews are constructing sidewalk; improving drainage; installing lighting, and placing new signs and pavements markings. Expect daytime southbound outside lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. from 60th Street West to SR 70/53rd Avenue. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures within 600 feet of signalized intersections from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. FDOT allows daytime lane closures not within 600 feet of signalized intersections between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. while crews are working. Highway Safety Devices is the contractor. Expected completion is late spring 2016.
SR 684 at the Cortez Drawbridge: Bridge maintenance project: Crews are working on the bridge. Expect nighttime/overnight east and westbound lane closures from 9 p.m. each night to 5 a.m. each morning Tuesday, May 31 through Thursday, June 2. Use caution and expect possible delays.