Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017. For further information please visit the official Ft. Hamer Bridge project website: http://www.forthamerbridge.com/
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge. Starting August 8th, there will be a detour that only allows southbound traffic on UMRR from Gates Creek Rd to 3rd Ave NE. For further information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/UMRR-Notice-Update/UMRR.Notice.Update.pdf
- Lockwood Ridge Rd just south of SR 70 will be impacted by a right turn lane expansion that includes a watermain and other utility relocations. Drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays
- 51st St W will be closed February 8th until October for a new gravity system replacement project, from 9th Ave Dr W to 18th Ave W. Detours will be in place, and drivers are asked to use caution and expect possible delays. Please see link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/51stStGravitySewerPh2-Update/51stStGravitySewerPh2.Update.pdf
- NOTE: The section of work currently underway has 51st St W closed from 15th Ave W to 19th Ave W. Drivers are asked if coming northbound from Cortez to please use 21st Ave W and detour to 59th or 43rd.
- Drivers coming southbound from Manatee Ave are asked to detour at 11th Ave W or 9th Ave W to get to 59th or 43rd. Please use CAUTION and obey all posted speed limits in residential areas.
- Tallevast Rd from the post office west to 15th St E (Old 301) will be undergoing the addition of a new sidewalk and storm improvements starting April 15th. The road will be reduced to one lane at times with flagging operations. Please use caution and expect possible delays.
- 53rd Ave W is undergoing widening and utility improvements from approximately 51st St W to 75th St W. Please use caution when in the area.
- 16th Ave E (Canal Rd) will be shut down to one lane, and also fully closed (intermittently) starting now until November, for a 16"waterline and service installation. Please use caution and follow posted detour routes. See this link for more information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/CanalRdClosure.pdf
- 63rd Ave E from Tuttle to Prospect will be undergoing construction starting August 12th and lasting several months. This is for a watermain replacement project. Intermittent lane closures will be in effect, please use caution and plan alternative routes.
- 44th Ave E at 19th St Ct E will be closed from September 19th through October 24th. This is for a full intersection upgrade and improvement that will tie into the new 44th Ave E connection. Please see this link for further information: mymanatee-author/dms/departments/public-works/road-closure-documents/44thAve-at-19thStCtE-Closure-Notice-Revision1/44thAve.at.19thStCtE.Closure.Notice.Revision1.pdf
FDOT Roadway Updates:
Sunshine Skyway South Fishing Pier: Construction project: Crews are repairing barrier wall at the end of the south Skyway Fishing Pier. Work occurs during daytime hours. The fishing pier will remain open during this project. Expected completion is late fall 2016. The contractor is Coastal Marine Construction, Inc.
I-75 (SR 93) / University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI) (Sarasota/Bradenton): Construction Project:
Detour – University Parkway CLOSED under I-75 at the I-75/University Parkway Interchange:
Tuesday, September 27, Wednesday, September 28 and Thursday, September 29. Details below:
The contractor anticipates implementing a temporary detour route at the I-75/University Parkway interchange at night/overnight Tuesday, September 27, Wednesday, September 28 and Thursday, September 29 between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. while crews groove the surface of the I-75 southbound bridge. All ramps will remain open.
Motorists traveling westbound on University Parkway (east of I-75) wishing to travel west through the interchange are directed to travel northbound on I-75, exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B, enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling eastbound on University Parkway (west of I-75) wishing to travel east through the interchange are directed to travel southbound on I-75, exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210, enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling southbound on I-75 wishing to travel east on University Parkway are directed to exit at Fruitville Road/Exit 210 (south of the closure), enter northbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Motorists traveling northbound on I-75 wishing to travel west on University Parkway are directed to exit at westbound SR 70/Exit 217B (north of the closure), enter southbound I-75, and exit at University Parkway/Exit 213.
Detour – I-75 Southbound Off-Ramp and I-75 Southbound On-Ramp CLOSED at the I-75/University Parkway Interchange. These closures will not occur simultaneously with the University Parkway Closure described above or with each other. Each ramp closure is anticipated to last 3 hours.
Thursday, September 29. Details below:
I-75 Southbound Off-Ramp at University Parkway CLOSED: A temporary intermittent detour route is in place at night/overnight at I-75/University Parkway Thursday, September 29 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. to install light poles. Motorists traveling south on I-75 wishing to travel on University Parkway are directed to continue south and exit at Fruitville Road (Exit 210), travel east and enter I-75 northbound, and exit at University Parkway (Exit 213). Motorists may also use local roads.
I-75 Southbound On-Ramp at University Parkway CLOSED: A temporary intermittent detour route is in place at night/overnight at I-75/University Parkway Thursday, September 29 from 10 p.m. to 5 a.m. to install light poles. Motorists wishing to travel south on I-75 from University Parkway are directed to enter northbound I-75, exit at SR 70 (Exit 217) travel west and enter southbound I-75, and continue south. Motorists may also use local roads to Fruitville Road and enter southbound I-75.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on northbound and southbound I-75 Sunday, September 25 through Friday, September 30 between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 11 p.m. Watch for lane shifts and temporary single and double lane closures on the I-75 on and off-ramps between 8 p.m. and 7 a.m.
Temporary intermittent single and double lane closures are in place at night/overnight on eastbound and westbound University Parkway from Cooper Creek Blvd. to Market Street Sunday, September 25 through Friday, September 30 between 9 p.m. and 7 a.m. Double lane closures begin at 10 p.m.
The contractor is widening the bridge at Foley Creek and Errie Creek, installing water main and storm drain throughout the project, excavating earth material, constructing the southbound bridge at I-75/University Parkway, reconstructing the median on University Parkway, installing/relocating lighting, and constructing MSE walls. Watch for trucks entering and leaving the highway. Watch for changes in the speed limit. Speeding fines double when workers are present. Crews are working during the day on Saturday.
Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on northbound and southbound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening of University Parkway, widening of I-75 bridges over Errie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on-ramps and off-ramps at I-75/University Parkway, addition of ponds, drainage improvements, new lighting and signalization, construction of a noise wall on the west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC. For additional information, please visit the project website at http://www.swflroads.com/i75/university/
I-75 at the I-275 and Moccasin Wallow Road Interchanges: Construction project: Crews are installing new high-mast lighting. Expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. Highway Safety Devices, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2017.
US 301 from CR 675 to Moccasin Wallow Road: Construction project: Crews are widening the roadway to a four-lane divided highway; constructing sidewalk; installing highway lighting; constructing medians, and improving drainage. Crews are working Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and Saturday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. Intermittent outside lane closures expected for concrete work and delivery and installation of signing, handrail and sod. Expected completion is October 2016.
Business US 41 at the Green Bridge and along Riverside Drive: Construction project: Crews are constructing a shared use path and sidewalk; improving drainage; installing new decorative lighting; paving the parking lot and constructing new parking spaces with architectural pavers; installing new signing and pavement markings, and installing landscaping with a new irrigation system. There will be no lane closures at signalized intersections between 6 a.m. – 8 a.m. and from 5 p.m. – 7 p.m. Expect single lane closures on Riverside Drive while the contractor is working on the drainage. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures on US 41 between 9 p.m. and 6 a.m. The east and west parking areas remain closed. Estimated completion is fall 2016. The contractor is Douglas N. Higgins, Inc.
SR 789 between 28th Street and State Road 64: Maintenance permit project: Crews for FPL are working along the roadway. Expect daytime lane closures from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. through Monday, October 3. The east and westbound right turn lanes at the intersection of SR 64 and SR 789 are also closed during those times. Southbound traffic is being diverted to 28th Street using 6th Avenue and Avenue E.
SR 70 east of Lorraine Road: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing driveways and resurfacing the roadway. Expect intermittent daytime east and westbound lane closures controlled by flaggers from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Use caution and expect possible delays.
SR 70 from 301 Boulevard to Tara Boulevard: Construction project: Crews are resurfacing the roadway and making signal upgrades. Expect daytime and nighttime/overnight lane closures while crews are working. Expected completion is late summer 2017. The contractor is Superior Asphalt, Inc.