Current Road Closures
Below is a listing of County roads which are currently closed or under construction in Manatee County. This page is frequently updated as information becomes available.
MANATEE COUNTY LOCAL ROAD CLOSURES:
- COUNTY-WIDE motorists are asked to use caution in the vicinity of any utility pole upgrade projects. FPL is undergoing a major retrofit of trunk distribution power lines across the County, and occasional lane closures and delays in these areas should be anticipated. Please use caution.
- At Ft. Hamer Rd, Golf Course Rd, and Mulholland Rd, motorists should use caution and expect possible delays, as this section of roadway is undergoing an upgrade in anticipation of the new Ft. Hamer bridge crossing, which will be open early 2017.
- At Upper Manatee River Rd, drivers are also asked to use caution and expect potential delays for these roadway improvements which are also associated with the new bridge.
- 9th St W southbound lane will be closed at the 301 Blvd W split. Motorists may make the right turn to continue south at the signal on 301 Blvd W. This is for the Wares Creek Improvement Project which is continuing in the area.
- Myakka Rd Bridge at Myakka Rd (in Sarasota County) will be undergoing replacement from July 20th to September 2017. One lane will be maintained at all times during construction, but motorists should plan for possible delays coming from Clay Gulley Rd. See link: Myakka Rd Bridge Project Bulletin
- Until end of November, there will be a lane closure at Whitfield Ave, from Prospect Rd to Lockwood Ridge Rd. This will be performed with an automated signal. Please use caution.
- Due to the 44th Ave Project Expansion that is ongoing in the area, 39th St E south from 38th Ave E will be closed to through traffic. Also, the current 44th Ave E that runs between 39th St E and 45th St E also will remain closed to through traffic. See link here for more information: 44th Ave Closure Map
- The Railroad Crossing at Tallevast Rd, between US 301 and 15th St E will be CLOSED from November 30th until December 4th. The detour route will be to use either Whitfield Ave to the north, or University Parkway to the south, to bypass. This is for a project to upgrade the crossing structure. Detour Map Link
- The areas of Whitfield Ave and University Parkway will be experiencing lane closures for utility pole upgrades by FPL. These should be completed by Nov 30th.
FDOT ROADWAY PROJECTS:
Various Locations: Maintenance contracts projects: Crews are making concrete repairs and trimming trees until the end of November at various locations along Business 41, SR 684, and SR 70. Motorists and pedestrians should use caution in the area when workers are present.
I-75/University Parkway Diverging Diamond Interchange (DDI): Construction project:
Crews continue installing drainage pipe, excavating ponds, placing embankment, milling on 75, driving new piles and setting new beams for the new expanded Foley Creek Bridge (on 75). Reduced speed limits are within the project corridor for the duration of the project. The speed limit on 75 is reduced to 60 mph and the speed limit on University is reduced to 35 mph. Speeding fines are doubled in work zones. Improvements being made as part of this project consist of constructing a diverging diamond interchange, adding an auxiliary lane on north and south bound I-75, constructing new bridges on I-75 over University Parkway, widening University Parkway, widening bridges over Erie Creek and Foley Creek, realignment of on and off ramps at University Parkway, addition of retention ponds, drainage improvements, landscaping, new lighting, signalization, construction of a noise wall on west side of I-75, sidewalks, bike lanes, and pedestrian walkways. Expected completion is Fall 2017. The contractor is Prince Contracting, LLC.
US 301 from CR 675 to Moccasin Wallow Rd: Construction project: Crews are widening the roadway to a four lane divided highway, constructing sidewalk, installing highway lighting, medians, and improving drainage. There will be intermittent shoulder closures throughout the project limits for off loading of material and equipment. Paving operations will start on the north end of the project moving south; paving will require single lane closures with flagging between the hours of 6:30 am and 4 pm daily. Travelers should expect delays. Intermittent shoulder closures will be set up throughout the project for delivery and hauling of materials and equipment. Russell Engineering, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is Fall 2016.
US 301 at 25th Drive E: Construction project: Crews are constructing a left turn lane from westbound US 301 onto 25th Drive E, removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway, making drainage improvements, and installing new signs and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7pm to 6am, and daytime lane closures from 9am to 4pm while crews are working. Superior Asphalt, Inc, is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2016.
US 41 from 69th Ave to SR 684/Cortez Rd: Construction project: Crews are making intersection improvements and pedestrian safety upgrades, including pedestrian refuge islands throughout the project limits. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7 pm to 6 am within 600 feet of signalized intersections. FDOT permits daytime and nighttime lane closures not within 600 feet of a signalized intersection from 9 am to 4 pm and from 7 pm to 6 am. Florida Safety Contractors, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is Fall 2015.
US 41 from I-275 to Hillsborough County Line and at Piney Point Rd and Dock Street (Port Manatee): Construction project: Crews are reconstructing portions of the roadway with concrete; removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway; installing a new traffic signal at the I-275 westbound off ramp to US 41; improving drainage; constructing sidewalk; guardrail, lighting and landscaping. There will be a new traffic pattern on US 41 north and southbound beginning Wednesday, Nov 4th. This new pattern reduces US 41 from four lanes to two lanes (one lane each direction) between Buckeye Road to the Hillsborough County Line. Speed limit will be reduced to 50 mph. Motorists should expect possible nighttime/overnight lane closures from 8 pm to 6 am. Estimated completion is late 2016. The contractor is Pepper Contracting Services, Inc.
US 41 from Whitfield Ave to Montgomery Ave: Maintenance permit project: Crews are constructing a driveway. Expect intermittent northbound outside lane closures from 9 am to 4 pm through Friday, December 4th. Use caution.
SR 789 from 27th Street to SR 64: Construction project: Crews are constructing sidewalk and new bus shelters, making drainage improvements, and new sign and pavement markings. Expect daytime lane closures and flagging operations from 9 am to 4 pm while crews are working. LAS Contracting Corporation is the contractor. Expected completion is Fall 2015.
SR 70 from 6th Street E to 9th Street E: Construction project: Crews are extending the left-turn lane from eastbound SR 70 onto 9th Street E, removing old asphalt and resurfacing the roadway, constructing sidewalk, making drainage improvements, and installing new signing and pavement markings. Expect nighttime/overnight lane closures from 7 pm to 6 am while crews are working. Superior Asphalt, Inc. is the contractor. Expected completion is early 2016.
SR 64 from 77th St W to 59th St W: Construction project: Crews are installing highway lighting and constructing sidewalk. Expect lane closures from 10 am to 2:30 pm and 7:30 pm to 7 am, when necessary. MSB Services, LLC is the contractor. Expected completion is late 2015.